This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
there own way of doing things
its a welcoming ceremony
people who are connected to the marae
people who visit the marae
The place you stand (home base) in a marae
relationship and family connections
Taking care of others and respecting elders
Giving respect,concern and hospitality
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae is……...